PRINCIPLES OF ENERGY LEGISLATION
Series "Law": Economic and legal comparative researches
It’s been over 20 years since the scholars could coin such term as Energy Law. The purpose of the present Article is to examine what the nature of Energy Law is today, twenty years on. By means of analysis of the provisions of the regulatory and legal documents the seven core principles of the Energy Law were determined; they were crucial in the establishment of the Energy Law itself and also are the basis for development of its future principles. The purpose of this article is to analyze the fundamental principles of energy law, which are based on modern European and International Energy Law by analyzing the provisions of European and international regulatory documents, which are the basis for shaping the future norms of Energy Law of the European Union and Ukraine. The two main targets to be pursued by the present article are intertwined and interdependent. The first is about development of a concept for scholars and experts what the essence of Energy Law is and how it may be made comprehensible both for the law specialists and specialists of other domains. The second target is to describe of the core principles framework which influenced the establishment of the Energy Law and will play a pivotal role in its future development. It is supposed the core principles framework should be the center for the Energy Law despite the absence of the unified legal regulatory document consolidating those principles. The present article will be definitely useful for the scholars and experts engaged in the establishment of the Energy Law, its enhancement as well as its practical application and usage in the court practice.
Energy Law, energy legislation, principles of legislation, resource sovereignty, energy services, energy justice, climate, natural resources
2. General Assembly resolution 1803 (XVII) of 14 December 1962, "Permanent sovereignty over natural resources". URL: https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/ProfessionalInterest/resources.pdf [last accessed 10.02.2019].
3. Declaration of the UN Conference on the Human Environment 1972 and Declaration of the UN Conference on the Environment and Development 1992. URL: http://legal.un.org/avl/pdf/ha/dunche/dunche_e.pdf [last accessed 10.02.2019].
4. Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development "Our Common Future", UN Doc A/42/427 (1987). URL: https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/139811/files/A_42_427-EN.pdf [last accessed 10.02.2019].
5. World Energy Assessment Overview: 2004 Update / United Nations Development Programme. URL: https://www.undp.org/content/dam/aplaws/publication/en/publications/environment-energy/www-ee-library/sustainableenergy/world-energy-assessment-overview-2004-update/World%20Energy%20Assessment%20Overview-2004%20Update.pdf [last accessed 10.02.2019].
6. United Nations Millennium Declaration. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly, A/RES/55/2. URL: https://undocs.org/A/RES/55/2 [last accessed 15.02.2019].
7. Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 25 September 2015. URL: http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/migration/generalassembly/docs/globalcompact/A_RES_70_1_E.pdf [last accessed 15.02.2019].
8. Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. URL: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2016/goal-07/ [last accessed 15.02.2019].
9. Benjamin K. Sovacool, Raphael J. Heffron, Darren McCauley & Andreas Goldthau. Energy decisions reframed as justice and ethical concerns. 2016. URL: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/61327/ [last accessed 15.02.2019].
10. McCauley, Darren & Heffron, Raphael & Stephan, Hannes & Jenkins, Kirsten. Advancing Energy Justice: The triumvirate of tenets. International Energy Law Review. 2013. Vol. 32. P. 107-110.
11. Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-Making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters (Aarhus, Denmark, 25 June 1998). URL: https://treaties.un.org/doc/Treaties/1998/06/19980625%2008-35%20AM/Ch_XXVII_13p.pdf [last accessed 15.02.2019].
12. Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, adopted 14 June 1992. URL: http://www.unesco.org/education/pdf/RIO_E.PDF [last accessed 15.02.2019].
13. Declaration of the UN Conference on the Human Environment adopted in Stockholm, 16 June 1972. URL: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/CONF.48/14/REV.1 [last accessed 15.02.2019].
14. Decision No 1600/2002/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 July 2002 laying down the Sixth Community Environment Action Programme. Official Journal. 2002. L 242. P. 0001-0015.
15. EUROPE 2020. A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth: Communication from the Commission. URL: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:52010DC2020&from=EN [last accessed 15.02.2019].
16. Benjamin J. Richardson. Sustainable Development in International and National Law. Review of European, Comparative & International Environmental Law. 2009. Vol.18. Iss. 1. P. 105-107. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9388.2009.625_2.x
17. Eduardo Pereira, Kim Talus. National Petroleum Supply Reservations: Background and Comparison. Journal of World Energy Law and Business. 2014. Vol. 7. Iss. 6. P. 527—537. https://doi.org/10.1093/jwelb/jwu023
18. National Research Council. 2012. Disaster Resilience: A National Imperative. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/13457
19. US-Canada Power System Outage Task Force, Final Report on the August 14, 2003 Blackout in the USA and Canada: Causes and Recommendations. 2014. URL: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/oeprod/Documentsand-Media/BlackoutFinal-Web.pdf [last accessed 15.02.2019].
20. US Department of Energy, Transforming the Nation’s Electricity System: The Second Installment of the Quadrennial Energy Review. 2017. URL: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2017/02/f34/Quadrennial%20Energy%20Review--Second%20Installment%20%28Full%20Report%29.pdf [last accessed 15.02.2019].
21. On Amendments to the Constitution of Ukraine (Regarding the Strategic Course of the State on Acquiring Fullfledged Membership of Ukraine in the European Union and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization): Law of Ukraine dated 02.07.2019 No. 2680-VIII. Holos Ukrainy. 2019. No. 34 [Про внесення змін до Конституції України (щодо стратегічного курсу держави на набуття повноправного членства України в Європейському Союзі та в Організації Північноатлантичного договору): Закон України від 07.02.2019 № 2680-VIII. Голос України. 2019. № 34] [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 144 PDF Downloads: 84